Just hit by aphasia

Moderators: Michelle Attard, Lucie Lanyon, Miranda Rose

Just hit by aphasia

Postby Ana g » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:38 am

Hi there! I am Ana from México. Last week my husband had an undiagnosed neurological damage. He can't speak or write but he can read. Also, he can't move the right part of his body. I am sad an desperate. Any tips? Sugestions?
Thank you and God bless you all
Ana g

Re: Just hit by aphasia

Postby Michelle Attard » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:06 am

Hi Ana,

It sounds like a really difficult time for you both. Please know that you are not alone! Support is out there.

Is there a speech-language pathologist available to see him at the hospital? Their role is to help with communication and swallowing problems.

From a communication point of view, given your husband can read, it might be useful to write down some key words about different topics for him to point to so he can make choices about what he wants, or to share his opinion. Pictures may be useful for this too.

Here are some services in the U.S that may help you with any information needs you have:
- National Aphasia Association: https://www.aphasia.org/
- Association Internationale Aphasie (some information in Spanish if you desire it) http://www.aphasia-international.com/languages/spanish/

Best wishes,
Michelle (Aphasia Community).
Michelle Attard

Postby Ana g » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:43 pm

Hi Michelle.
Thank you for your kind reply and suggestions. My husband will start therapy on Monday. I tried different methods but he has not show much enthusiasm. First, I tried cards with easy words for him to pick a subject to communicate. He concentrated in the one related to his job and got very frustrated. At all times I approached him with the cards, even if they were right there.
Then I tried an app that "talks for him". But he wasn't interested in using it.
Maybe is too son for him or he is too sad.
I feel desperate but don't want to rush him. I hope the therapist helps.
Ana
Ana g

Postby Michelle Attard » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:48 pm

Hi Ana,

Good news that therapy is not far away. You should also be commended for your attempts to engage your husband in communication in the ways you've described. As you say, his reluctance to engage in return might be about the timing at present. There is no recipe book and your situation may continually change, but it sounds like you are on the right track and care very much.

Hope you can tap into some support for yourself along the way too--there may be carers' hotlines or stroke/aphasia-specific services for you to look into to help you feel you are being a bit more proactive.

Best wishes from Sydney, Australia
Michelle
Michelle Attard

Postby Ana g » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:33 am

Thank you very much Michelle
I've riding a nightmare rollercoaster for the past three weeks.
Yesterday we finally got a diagnosis and the recovery will be painfully slow.
If only I could help him a little more!
Thank you for being there. We are blessed to have a very big family and good friends that pray for us but is good to talk to somebody who understands our ordeal.
Blessings,
Ana
Ana g

Return to Aphasia Community