Using non-aphasia language software to help recovery?

Moderators: Michelle Attard, Lucie Lanyon, Miranda Rose

Using non-aphasia language software to help recovery?

Postby JonHall » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:26 am

Hi, My wife, Rachael had a stroke 7 years ago. She had speech therapy while in hospital and upon leaving worked through React 2 and Step-by-Step. Her aphasia has improved enough that these types of software are now too easy for her, but her aphasia is still bad enough that communication is difficult and slow. There doesn't seem to be any aphasia software for the next level up - i.e. sentence construction, grammar, tenses etc. that would benefit her. So I thought that maybe a program aimed at people learning English would be useful. Has anyone ever done this and if so which program would they recommend? There's a quite a lot of them out there and most are quite expensive so we can't really afford to buy several and try them out one-by one. Any advice would be very welcome!

Re: Using non-aphasia language software to help recovery?

Postby Michelle Attard » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:04 pm

Dear Jon,

Thanks for connecting! Good to hear your wife has been making gains over the past 7 years. There is a great website called Aphasia Software Finder which lists a myriad of different apps and other software (aphasia-specific as well as general) and provides lots of information about each to help you decide what might be useful. Many are free or low-cost.

Hope you both find this to be of help!
Michelle Attard

Return to Aphasia Community